FAQs BSc in Chemistry

The most important questions regarding the chemistry course

Question: What admission qualifications do I need to study chemistry at the RUB?
Answer: Leaving aside evidence of general university entrance qualification, the most important requirement is certainly an interest in chemistry as a subject and a generous helping of curiosity. And you need to be up to speed in subjects like physics, biology and mathematics. But if some things have been forgotten in the course of time, it's not the end of the world: In order to align the starting conditions for all new students, knowledge can be refreshed on a voluntary basis in a preliminary course in the first semester.

Question: Are there any admission limitations for the Bachelor's/Master's courses of studies in chemistry?
Answer: Örtlich zulassungsbeschränkt: Lokaler Numerus Clausus (NC). Das Verfahren
wird von der Ruhr-Universität durch-geführt.
Aktuelle Informationen zur Bewerbung finden Sie unter:
Detailed information for international applicants: http://international.rub.de/bewerbung/index.html.en

Question: When does the course begin?
Answer: Usually always in the winter semester. It is important to note that the preliminary course begins before the lecture period starts - a free yet invaluable bonus.

Question: How long is the course?
Answer: According to the curriculum, the Bachelor's - the foundation course so to say - takes six semesters including the Bachelor's thesis. Anyone who wants to do the Master of Science (Chemistry) and guarantee his or her opportunity to obtain a doctor's degree, adds another four semesters on top of that - including the Master's thesis. By the way: As the Bachelor's/Master's courses only began to replace the diploma degree course from the winter semester 2001/2002 onwards, no details can be given as yet regarding the average time it takes to complete the course. But in the diploma degree course in chemistry, with a regular course duration of 9 semesters, 50 per cent of the students at the RUB so far have achieved their graduation after about 10 semesters. That's not bad, is it?

Question: Do I have to absolve a practical before the start of the course?
Answer: No. All practicals necessary are absolved during the course at the RUB.

Question: What's the situation with examinations, and how much time do I have to write the Bachelor's or Master's thesis?
Answer: Examinations accompany the course and are offered at the beginning and end of each lecture-free period when the knowledge is still quite fresh. Credit points (CP) are awarded for performance in examinations and work during the course. 180 CP are required to pass the Bachelor's examination, including the Bachelor's thesis. The Master's examination counts as passed if 120 CP are achieved including the Master's thesis. The Bachelor's thesis must be absolved within two months, the Master's thesis in chemistry within six months and in biochemistry within nine months.

Question: Wenn can I take a doctor's degree?
Answer: Basically, a dissertation can be done in any subject at the Ruhr-Universität Bochum; the requirement is a degree (Master's, diploma, state teaching degree) in the elected or a related subject. Students who have performed above average have the opportunity to enter directly into a doctorate course of studies after a successful Bachelor's examination. Details can be obtained from the doctorate course regulations of the Faculty of Chemistry.

Any more questions? The
course subject advisers for chemistry can be of more help.